Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Finally, the ARRL starts answering the LOTW questions

We heard from newington, today and it's exactly as I predicted.

Updated 6/4/2024

On or around May 12, 2024, ARRL was the victim of a sophisticated network attack by a malicious international cyber group. ARRL immediately involved the FBI and engaged with third party experts to investigate.

This serious incident was extensive and categorized by the FBI as “unique,” compromising network devices, servers, cloud-based systems, and PCs.

ARRL management quickly established an incident response team. This has led to an extensive effort to contain and remediate the networks, restore servers, and staff are beginning the testing of applications and interfaces to ensure proper operation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as our staff continue to work through this with an outstanding team of experts to restore full functionality to our systems and services.

We will continue to update members as advised and to the extent we are able.​
So, they hacked the routers, as I said. They know the systems Newington employs has a great deal of front-end to back-end traffic, and crippling that traffic would cancel the show completely.

I still say this attack smacks of some inside information. International Cyber Group?  I have my doubts, which would seem to be confirmed by the timing of the attack. I mean,does anyone not understand the significance of WHEN all this went down.... a couple days before Dayton?

 Interesting that they're saying"Updating members" when the majority of LOTW's users are NOT members. I've addressed this one previously, so not point in re-hashing it other than confirming it.

Anyway, as someone else said:

From a public relations standpoint, I wish we had seen a statement like this earlier. It would have curbed some of the “specubation.”

 Yes, it would have, and frankly, I fail to understand how Newington's silence helps the FBI in any way.   I must also say I'll be shocked if there's actually any arrests over this.

No comments: