Friday, June 07, 2024

Looking at the world through a windshield

Some of you don't know this abouyt me, so.....  I spent many years in the Broadcast business. from there I went into computer support for about 10 years. From there, I started driving truck.... and it's what I do now.

My home away from home

This where I spent the vast majority of my time. It's a 2020 Freightliner Cascadia. Without question, it is best I've ever had. 

I think it LOOKS killer. The Black on Black with that livery is a standout. You might pick up I'm rather proud of it...Let's just say the company treats me VERY well, and this is one result of that.

 

Got the biggest Detroit DD15 engine they make, (505hp,1750 ft lb tq) an DT12, 12 speed automatic, and all the bells and whistles... adaptive cruise, blind spot radar. Disk brakes.(Rare even today for a tractor trailer to have disc brakes.)


Got a huge amount of battery available.. I could start Frankenstein with this thing. .(four glass mat batteries under my drivers seat, four more under the back porch) which means the HVAC can run on the battery for over 12 hours. When it runs out of battery the truck starts itself and charges the battery. Got a complete kitchen, (grill, microwave, coffee maker, fridge/freezer) 19" flat screen TV, the 2/70 and the CB.... Top line stereo. Got 470,000 miles on it, give or take.

Trust me.... I'll be sorry to let it go when the time comes.

  And my Ham radio contacts are a big deal in this thing. It's apparently less of a rarity than it used to be to have an active ham driving truck but still raises eyebrows. In my two trips to Xenia, I've run across more than a handful to fellow drivers on.520, and I'm making friends all over the north east, where I run. I'm getting to be a regular on a couple of Harrisburg systems,, for example I run NY, PA, NJ,MD etc, so if you're in those states you might just hear me....


No comments: